Monday, January 14, 2008

Chicken Soup - my dd's cure for being sick

Woke up this morning to a sick child. The only thing she wants while sick is me and my homemade chicken broth. I always have some on hand in the freezer, frozen in ice cube trays and transferred to a bag. I put a few in a cup, microwave until melted and hot. Sometimes I'll cook noodles and put into it also. Here is my recipe for the chicken broth.

1 whole small chicken
3/4 carrots
1 large onion
1 large sweet potato
4/5 stalks of celery (including leaves)
1 bunch of parsley
1 or 2 cloves of garlic


I boil the chicken in a large stock pot for about 2 hours. Add veggies, and boil for another 1 1/2 hours. Remove chicken, bones, and veggies from pot. Discard bones, put chicken in another container (save for soup or a different meal). Place veggies in blender and puree, add back to broth. Veggie puree will thicken it a bit, if it is too thick for your liking, you can add a little water, or canned chicken stock. Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments: