Saturday, January 12, 2008

I just read a post somewhere

about keeping family recipes alive! I wanted to share one, since I don't have much family left anymore. No one except me knows how to make this (in our family anyway). On Christmas Eve we have a traditional Polish dinner. Which means, no meat. Our menu is:
Salmon patties
Clear mushroom soup
Mashed Potatoes
Pickled Herring
Pickled pigs feet
Garlicky Kidney beans
Homemade Bread

Here is my dh's favorite, the salmon pattie recipe. As a sidenote, I don't measure, and never will so you'll have to guesstimate the amounts.

4 cans of Salmon (can use less for your family)
1 handful of cheez it crackers, crushed
1 handful of ritz crackers, crushed
2 eggs
salt
pepper
onion powder

I pick the bones out of the salmon, because it is just a texture thing to me, but they are very good for you and are a great source of calcium. Mix all ingredients together as if making a meatloaf. Form into patties, I make large patties, any size you want. Fry on top of the stove in large skillet, in olive oil (enough to cover bottom of pan). Fry until brown and crispy on the outside, on each side. Voila'! Time to enjoy!

1 comment:

vicvic said...

The salmon patties look interesting - I hear you on the bones, I don't like them either. I may just have to try that recipe!